Keith’s Caribbean Style Rice & Peas
Rice and peas can be described as an unforgettably fluffy rice simmered in coconut milk and accented with fresh thyme and red kidney beans. No Caribbean meal is complete without Rice and Peas. This dish can be served on all occasions.
- 1 large onion
- 2 bunches of scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Keith Lorren's All Purpose Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 strips of smoked bacon
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
- 12 oz washed and soaked red kidney beans
- 1 un-opened scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups parboiled rice
- 4 cups of water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Add onions, scallions, garlic, and ginger, Keith Lorren's All Purpose Seasoning, and black pepper into a food processor to make a seasoning paste.
- In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauce bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Add seasoning paste and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk, thyme, chicken broth, whole scotch bonnet pepper (be careful not to puncture the pepper or the rice will be ruined. If it remains un-opened it will give off an amazing flavor without the heat.), and cook beans until tender about 1 1/2 hours.
- When beans are tender and liquid has reduced to about 2 cups, remove scotch bonnet pepper and discard.
- Add rice and water.
- Flavor with salt and sugar to taste.
- Cover pot with a tight fitting lid and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until rice is fluffy.