Best Beef Short Ribs Soup
SHORT RIB MARINADE
- 1 ¾ lb chuck short ribs
- 1/3 cup dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoons thai fish Sauce
- 5 tablespoons Keith Lorren Beef Stew & Oxtail Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Keith Lorren Beef Bouillion
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole all spice
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 bay whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb beef neck bones/oxtails
- 2 large onions cut in halves
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 gallon of water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 5 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons Keith Lorren Beef Stew & Oxtail Seasoning
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
FRIED ONION GARNISH
- 1 onion cut into thin strips
- 2-3 tablespoons of half & Half cream
- Generous sprinkle of Keith Lorren’s Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- 1-2 cups of corn starch
HERBED PESTO GARNISH
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced sundried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
- ½ teaspoon Keith Lorren’s Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Keith Lorren’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
FOR THE FRIED ONIONS
- Season onion strips generously with Keith Lorren’s Gourmet Poultry Seasoning
- Add the half & Half and toss to coat generously
- Toss in the cornstarch and make sure onions are coated well.
- Shake excess cornstarch off of the onions and fry in hot oil until golden brown and remove from oil onto a napkin.
- Immediately season onion strips lightly with Keith Lorren Seasoned Sea Salt.
FOR THE HERBED PESTO GARNISH
- Mix all ingredients together
FOR THE SOUP
Season beef short ribs with the Marinade ingredients. Marinade for 2 hours or over night
- On high heat, In a cast iron skillet, add a drizzle of oil and place onions flat side down into the pan. Deeply brown (brulee) the bottoms of the onions. Set onions aside.
- In a large pot, on medium high heat, add a little oil and deeply brown the beef bones on all sides.
- Add the marinated beef ribs and all of the marinade, brulee onions, celery, parsley, gelatin and ½ gallon of water. Simmer for 2-3 hours until the ribs are fall off the bone tender. Gradually add remaining water as it cooks to maintain the water level.
- Remove beef short ribs from soup and set aside being careful to keep them in tact
- With a large strainer, strain the solids from the soup and discard, reserving the rich broth
- Add potatoes and carrots to the broth along with the 2 tablespoons of Keith Lorren’s Beef Stew & Oxtail Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Heat a non stick skillet to medium high. Dry Beef short ribs with a napkin
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter along with a large sprig of thyme to the skillet.
- Season the outside of the ribs lightly with Keith Lorren Grilled Steak & burger Seasoning. Place ribs fat side down into the skillet and allow it to brown on both sides. Baste ribs with the butter as it cooks. Do not flip ribs over until they have browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To plate the soup, add 2 chunks of potatoes in the center of each bowl.
- Add 4- 5 carrot slices on the side of the potatoes
- Ladle broth into the bowl so that potatoes and carrots are visible
- Place a seared rib on top of the potatoes
- Drizzle the herb pesto lightly over the rib
- Sprinkle the fried onions over the soup along with a sprinkle of minced parsley